Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Communications Manifesto 2006

Who Am I?

My name is Rayhan, I am the current Vice President of the Students’ Union and I have spent the past 9 months running around like a to get out and about to students, working on different projects to improve the “experience” here and just being at your service…but some of you probably didn’t even know that.

What Have I Been Doing?

I attended the inductions for most 1st years, and I also organised and ran the 3 Freshers’ Fairs at the beginning of the year. It was my plan to keep that level of involvement sustained. Unfortunately I soon found out that my job is to represent and by trying to run events and organise activities I was stepping on the toes of staff that were employed to do that. How have you found university life as the year goes on? Yeah, a barrel of laughs eh? It could be, if you vote me as your Comms Officer.

What You Can Expect From Me

I plan to make knowledge freely available and easily accessible. My section of www.uwsu.com is the most regularly updated. The website isn’t great, but I managed to get more people using it through societies and all my reports are there.

When you come onto campus, can spend a whole day here, and still not know what events and activities are available to you, something needs to change. How about a list of societies and sports teams in classrooms? How about Smoke Radio playing in cafes, bars and communal areas? How about YOUR work being displayed in prominent places? And how about a new website that you WANT to use and is updated DAILY…one that YOU control (think myspace)? Those will all be the foundations to my work next year.

I’m Nice Too

I’d like to take an opportunity to talk about my competitors. Unfortunately for me, they are all nice. I’d vote for Jim Chapman, Rich Tyler and Anna (I forget her surname…she’s the Ju Jitsu girl…). Over the next two weeks, come and talk to us all. Find out how we’d help make your time here less frustrating. I want this election to be fun…make sure you have fun too.

Look out for my posters, you’ll get sick of them…so draw on them, ask me questions on them…even rearrange my face.

No comments: